Saturday 25 May 2013

What would we do without our friends...

More ideas

A few weeks ago at Carina's Anne came up with some ideas for how to put 'my house together'. I'd originally been thinking about making houses. But if houses represent the psyche and I only have one psyche (I hope and assume) then there should theoretically only be one house, made up of many rooms. Each room, an aspect of my psyche. And that's part of the journey (and this masters); getting to know my house, what's in it, and exploring all its different facets, its rooms. How many floors? The attic, the basement. Doors open and shut. What's behind the closed doors? Discovering new parts of the house. Staircases; where do they lead? Look at the windows, the décor... And so it goes on.



 
 
In an earlier post I talked about a ceramic artist called Hwan Cheun.
 
 
 
 
I have a sense now of how I can bring together the house, made up of rooms, stacked in a way inspired by the images Anne introduced me to and the other elements such as the Hermes shoes I am making. (Remember that Hermes was often described as the bringer of sleep and dreams as he is the god of transitions and boundaries and moves freely between the worlds of the mortal and the divine and significant to me as I am working with my dreams to help me discover what's in 'my house', my psyche. So the shoes will appear at various points of transition and boundaries, for example, the door that takes you from one room into another, from the first floor into the cellar, (and the shoreline in my paintings. The boundary between land and ocean)
 
 

 
 
Mmmm... Found some more images that are very exciting:
 
 
 A building by the very eccentric & incredibly inspiring Hundertwasser
 
 
Jim Kazanjian’s Mutant, Recomposed Houses
 
Good grief this photo (above) does it for me although if you look at the link and view some of Jim Kazanjian's other images, baring in mind the hypothesis that the house symbolises the psyche, it suggests some pretty messed up psyches!
 
A multi-level house, on stilts, on the shoreline. SO rich in symbolism and bringing together elements I've been working with and talking about; the ocean, the shore and the house. Though if you look closer... I hope I don't start dreaming about collapsing roads and burning stilted houses out at sea... That could be a little worrying.
 
 
 Lovely blog (Paul and I could go wild with some of these ideas)