Sunday 19 May 2013

First blog on my new laptop


It's been a while since I blogged. My laptop died. I bought a new one... Dropped it on the floor and broke it three days after having had all my old data transferred onto it. Had a sleepless night beating myself up for being such a flipping careless idiot. Had it mended and then I took time off while my sisters visited from overseas. What a rich time. I am now detoxing after two weeks of beach, bush, merry making and wine and am gently getting back into my own art making again.

A few weeks back Tim, one of my fellow students, dug this out for me to have a look at. I had been thinking about how I was going to make my 'rooms/house' more organic and how I was going to add other elements (I'll talk more about this in later posts) that might not 'fit in the rooms' and then Tim came up with this which has ignited so many ideas. I think it is absolutely stunning. An artist in residence at the University called Hwan Cheun made it. I love how he has created a story with all those elements in such a contained space. A bird, an egg, a boat, a house, a matrix, pods, columns... On a platform... It is at the same time organic and yet has structure. For me it does have a very dream like quality and suggests how one can put elements and images together to create a meaningful visual story.