Thursday 24 January 2013

Grayson Perry



For those who haven't heard of Grayson Perry, he is a transvestite potter. He is complete unusual, unique, unconventional and unafraid to be completely himself and I don't know why I haven't blogged about him before now. I think maybe I felt I had to have seen his work live so to speak, which I am sad to say I haven't. But technology is a wonderful thing and I've seen enough so I'm going to sing his praises despite not having been able to see any of his work on exhibition.

I love his imagination, skill, techniques and his honesty. His ceramics are generally vases of classical form which are skillfully decorated using imagery 'depicting subjects at odds with their attractive appearance'. I love the different techniques he uses on each vase and that on first impression they are highly attractive but when you look closer you can see a story emerge, and not always a comfortable story.

The links below are for his exhibition 'The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman' and the BBC's take on him winning the Turner Prize in 2003.







Grayson Perry