Sunday 23 September 2012

The night before & the finished paintings

Well tomorrow I head down to the gallery and put up the exhibition. I feel uncharacteristically under control and am adequately pleased with the various elements I will be displaying. How it all fits together in the gallery space though can make or break ... 

... I suspect I am a little more nervous than I am admitting to myself as it is way past my bedtime and I am still buzzing and unable to sleep.

Anyway, here are some of the finished paintings. I have five on plain canvas and six on the embroidered canvases. These are the ones on plain canvas.

It struck me (only) yesterday as I talked with Anne and Britta that for me these paintings ar not just paintings of the porcelain vessels I made but are themselves archetypal. Perhaps not only because of their significance to me as 'Body as Vessel'  but also because of their 'monumental' size in relation to the canvas. I was talking with Estelle Hudson, a clinical social worker and narrative social therapist who also conducts dream groups on a regular basis and who will be doing the walkabout at my exhibition next saturday, and she talked about how when a dream or an element in the dream stands out or is 'large/ larger than life' and seems to have extra significance then the chances are that there is an archetype at play. And if we take note of this and work with it then it can help us towards becoming more whole. More fully who we trully are. Moving towards 'Individuation'. This is such a fascinating area. One I wish to spend a lot more time exploring and learning about. 


Vessel 3
Oil on canvas 


Vessel 1
Oil on canvas


Vessel 4
Oil on canvas


Vessel 5
Oil on canvas 


Vessel 2
Oil on canvas


 Eating Bowl 1
Oil and embroidery on canvas 


 Eating Bowl 2
Oil and embroidery on canvas


 Eating Bowl 3
Oil and embroidery on canvas


  Eating Bowl 5
Oil and embroidery on canvas


 Eating Bowl 6
Oil and embroidery on canvas 


  Eating Bowl 4
Oil and embroidery on canvas