Thursday 14 March 2013

Image making on clay

Have had the most wonderful week playing with surface pattern and images on porcelain slab samples so that I have an idea of how work directly onto my porcelain houses/rooms. First I used a technique I saw Jenny at varsity using a couple of weeks back. She used stamps to press into the clay, brushed slip on quite thickly when leather hard and then scraped off with a kidney leaving the slip in the impressions left by the stamps. Then yesterday and today I took images from my sketch book and translated them onto the patterned porcelain slabs with a Peter Beard oxide and a very thin brush.


So here I have scratched and imprinted the clay, covered with slip and then scraped back





















The next pictures are of the same porcelain greenware slabs with images painted onto them







This is all part of my desire to layer images and textures as I do in my sketch book. So these samples, once fired to bisque will have more layers on them of glazes, perhaps transfers and lustres...