Wednesday 5 December 2012

Surrealism at the Tate Modern


POETRY AND DREAM
SURREALISM AND BEYOND




I really identify with the surrealists' notion of drawing 'upon the uncensored creative impulses of the unconscious'. Something that I never took on board about this movement until now.

I was unaware that Freud played such a large part in the 'raison d'etre' of the surrealist movement. I tend to lean more towards Jung than Freud however as part of the inspiration for my ongoing work I too intend to look to my dreams for direction.


Alberto Giacometti 1901-1966
Born Switzerland, worked Switzerland, France


Hours of the Traces 1930
L'Heure des traces 
Metal wire and plaster


In 1933 Giacometti said that when making his sculptures he reproduced images that 'were complete in my mind's eye... without stopping to ask myself what they might mean'. 

This fragile construction suggests the mysteries of the unconscious, combining space and time, eroticism and death. The cage like structure supports delicate organic forms. The upper shapes have been seen as skeletal or phallic, while the lower suspended form has been interpreted as a beating heart or a clock's pendulum. (Tate Modern)

I identify too with how this artist works. As he put it above; reproducing images that were complete in his mind's eye... without stopping to ask himself what they might mean.  

I don't always have an image that is complete in my mind's eye but I go with my uncensored creative impulses and don't ask myself at the time what they might mean until later. I am always in awe of how the unconcsious speaks and how I can trust it, always.